What can I do today for a healthy mouth in the future?


There are so many positives to taking adequate care of your oral health that go beyond the white and shiny appearance of your teeth. The simple actions of brushing, flossing and using antibacterial mouthwash remove germs that cause bad breath, gum diseases and tooth decay.

Our vision at Byfleet Boutique is not only to stop these diseases in their tracks, but also to provide you with the know-how that will prevent you from having to experience an unhealthy mouth.

This article provides you with information on how you can take better care of your teeth starting today.

Make sure you see the dentist in West Byfleet twice a year

You might still experience dental issues beyond your control, despite your best efforts and care, which is why you should see your local dentist twice a year to avoid trouble.

You know that dental anxiety is a real and prevailing issue in society. We offer services catered to your needs at a pace that you are comfortable with. Failing to see us when you need to because of anxiety or nerves could turn something that is easy to treat into a more complicated issue.

Use fluoridated toothpaste

There are several different brands and types of paste in this day and age, but all of them contain one common ingredient; mineral fluoride. Fluoride is vital for fighting cavities by strengthening your enamel, the outer protective layer that encases the rest of your tooth.

If you are unsure about which toothpaste you should use, ask our dentist in West Byfleet to recommend something. There are certain types you should stay away from if you have sensitive teeth as a more abrasive toothpaste could cause harm and weaken your enamel.

You should be flossing daily

People incorrectly assume that flossing is an added extra, but it should form part of your brushing.

Here is a frightening statistic for you: approximately 65% of all germs in your mouth are removed with brushing, leaving behind 35% of bacteria to breed and multiply in the spaces you cannot reach with a regular brush and paste. The excess bacteria leaves you more susceptible to decaying teeth, caused by bacteria attacking your enamel, and gum disease, as plaque accumulates around your gum line and teeth.

Learn to floss correctly

While some people put in the time and effort to floss, not everyone flosses using the correct technique.

Here is how you should be flossing:

Wind a lengthy piece of floss around your two middle fingers, leaving a couple of centimetres to work with. Holding it tightly between your thumbs and index fingers, gently slide the floss up and down your teeth, making sure also to remove missed plaque from your gumline. Remember not to force the floss; this could result in you bruising your gums.

Do not re-use floss – this spreads germs and makes flossing redundant.

Watch your diet

What you eat contributes to the overall health of your teeth. Avoid a diet with high sugar intake. Bacteria use these sugar particles to create a harmful acid that breaks down your enamel while aggravating your gums.

While saliva neutralises these acids, your mouth’s natural defence mechanisms can only do so much to prevent cavities if you eat a lot of sugar and carbohydrates.

To prevent the above from occurring limit your sugar intake (including fructose), and eat a balanced diet featuring vegetables, chicken, yoghurt, nuts and cheese, among other things.

If you do indulge in the odd sugary treat, consume it in one sitting rather than over a couple of hours to prevent exposing your mouth to acid attacks for longer.

If you have a regular and pervasive dental issue and are not sure where you are going wrong with your oral hygiene, come and have a chat with our dentist in West Byfleet!